There are a number of useful published references for Potts surname researchers. The usefulness varies since the intentions of the authors and compilers were varied. Some of the references are specific to a particular Potts line, i.e., a particular Potts individual and all of his descendants. At least one other reference is generic – it examines all Potts (and variations thereof) lines. A third category of references is one in which a particular Potts family is included along with several other family lines. The following is not an exhaustive listing.
Generic Potts References:
The Potts Family (short title), compiled by Thomas Maxwell Potts, published by the compiler, Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, U.S.A., 1901.
Specific Potts Line References:
- Memorial of Thomas Potts, Jr. (short title), by Isabella Batchelder James, published by the author, Cambridge, Massachusetts, U.S.A., 1874.
- Thomas Potts [Shield] (short title), compiled by Gloria Potts Stracke, published by the compiler, San Francisco, California, U.S.A., 1980.
- Jonathan Potts 1714-1785, compiled by Joseph J. Reichel, published by the compiler, Aurora, Colorado, U.S.A., 1980, revised 2004.
- The Potts Family of Westmoreland, Indiana, compiled by Douglas S. Wilson, published by the compiler, 1987.
- The Thomas Potts Family of South Carolina, compiled by Becky Sue Wallace, published by the compiler, Irving, Texas, U.S.A., 1998
- Potts Family History, by Clara Ethel Potts, published by the compiler.
- Pot, Pott and Potts Families, by Hubert A. Loman, published by the author, date unknown.
- A History of the Potts Family, compiled by Geoffrey William Potts, transcript by Barry Douglas Potts.
- The Potts Family Descendants of Oswald Potts in Bedford County, Tenessee, by Ivan Potts Jr., published by the compiler in 1983.
Incidental Potts Line References:
- Early Records of Simpson Families (short title), compiled by Helen A. Simpson, published by J. B. Lippincott Co., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.A., 1927.
- Additions and Corrections to the above, published by J. B. Lippincott Co., 1929.
- Looking Back. The Alexander/Wells Families, by Bonnie Alexander, completed by Lyndoll L. Wells, June 1990.
Rev. 11/22/2005 CEP